Just for the guys...
Lots of couples experience an unexpected pregnancy and immediately worry about how this will affect their future. Abortion seems like an easy and legal solution, but it does have significant risks that you may not understand. Having a baby doesn't mean the end of your dreams. Our counselors can help you work through the challenges of an unplanned pregnancy. We can help you come up with a plan of action and assist you with steps to achieve your goals.
After the shock wears off, you may begin thinking about what you should do. What are your alternatives and responsibilities as a boyfriend and prospective father? You definitely have some things to think about.
Men may sometimes feel like the forgotten partners during a pregnancy; however, at the Agape Pregnancy Resource Center of LaCrosse, men are welcome to take part in all the services offered.
If you think your girlfriend is pregnant, you probably have a lot of questions and concerns. You have not ruined the rest of your life, but you have changed your life and her life forever, and you have created an opportunity to demonstrate responsibility and maturity.
If you suspect that your girlfriend is already pregnant, we want you to know that the Agape Pregnancy Resource Center has a wealth of resources and information that specifically address your needs as a man. We can provide you with accurate information and practical support regarding issues such as:
- Pregnancy options
- Rights and responsibilities of fathers
- How to become an effective father
- Establishing paternity
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- How to support the baby's mother
- Continuing your education
If your girlfriend is pregnant, you already are a father. Knowing that, there are some things that you can do to help:
- Let your girlfriend know that you will be there for her.
- Offer to go with her to tell her parents the news.
- Research all of your options so that you and your girlfriend can make an informed decision.
- Avoid putting pressure on her to have a pregnancy termination.
- Work with your girlfriend to determine the best plan for her, for you, and for the baby.
The decisions you make today will affect you for the rest of your life. So, get the information that you and your girlfriend need. At Agape Pregnancy Resource Center of LaCrosse, WI, we can help answer your questions and provide you with factual information so that you can make a good decision. All of our services are free and totally confidential.
Here is some quick advice that may be of benefit to your right now:
- Listen. The situation involves more than just you. There are now three lives to think about.
- Stay Calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be carrying the baby, but you are BOTH parents, and regardless of your relationship in the future, that baby needs you too.
- Talk about it - not only with each other, but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help you only increases the stress.
- Gather all the facts. Get all the information and seek wise counsel so you can make the best decision for both of you.
- Express yourself honestly - it's normal to have feelings of anger, frustration and fear. But make sure she knows she is not alone.
- Don't bail. The more you run from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Don't pressure her. Applying pressure will only push her away, possibly into a regretful situation. You will do well to work together as a team.
- Don't forget. You have a very active role in this situation. Listen to input as well as give your thoughts.
Your needs are important to us. Our trained counselors are available to listen to your concerns and answer your questions about pregnancy, abortion, and related issues. Check out some of the services we offer at the Agape Pregnancy Resource Center of LaCrosse, WI.